- Job ID: 14150
- Functional Area: Nursing
- Position Type: Full Time
- Experience Required: Less than 1 year
- Location: Birmingham, AL
- Department: CLI-Specialty Clinics
- Education Required: Associates Degree
- Relocation Provided: No
Welcome to Cooper Green Mercy!
Our vision: Be the choice for care in our community.
Our mission: Serving all residents of Jefferson County, Alabama, through respectful, comprehensive, patient-centered care to achieve optimal health and a higher quality of life, regardless of ability to pay.
Commitment to Diversity: Cooper Green Mercy Health Services Authority, an affiliate of UAB Health System is an ambulatory care clinic that strives to provide an environment where our patients, employees and providers have a sense of belonging, dignity, and respect. We are committed to improving the health and lives of those we serve. We will act with intentionality to innovate, attract a workforce that represents the community we serve, invest in our community, and educate our workforce to be culturally competent and socially responsible.
We’re looking for like-minded individuals driven to make a difference. We invite you to explore careers at Cooper Green.
Work involves providing medical treatment and personal care for patients as ordered by provider. Work requires the employee to perform duties such as taking and recording vital signs and other clinic specific procedures. The work is performed under supervision of the Nurse Supervisor and/or provider according to facility policies and procedures.
1. Assists in providing accurate, prompt direct and indirect nursing care; Stocks and maintains exam rooms; Set up exam rooms for specific procedures per provider’s orders; Accurately takes and records patient vitals and / or perform EKGs, urine dipsticks, pregnancy tests, or other point of care tasks; report critical values to ordering provider
2. Conducts interviews of patients to obtain pertinent health history data and other information, documents chief complaints, reviews electronic health record (EHR) updates information and documents medications, allergies, etc.
3. Administers certain oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular, topical, intradermal, inhalation, instillation, and infusion medications per provider’s order
4. Displays effective communication skills; accurately instructs patient/family per protocol or as instructed by professional nurse or provider; adheres to proper channels of communication in a courteous, cooperative, and timely manner; protects patients’ rights and confidentiality; handles telephone calls appropriately
5. Maintains accountability for a safe environment for patients and others; Adheres to safety regulations; Ensures environment is organized and problems are addressed
6. Demonstrates personal accountability of professional growth by meeting and maintaining current certifications/licensure without reminders, as well as completing all mandatory facility and clinic specific education requirement in advance of due dates and presents completed transcripts to supervisor/manager; Attends 80% of unit meetings; participates in staff meetings to communicate ideas and contributes to team effort
7. Supports quality and fiscal goals for department and institution; Assists in inventory management; Assists with CQI projects and identifies obstacles to improvement. Identifies and communicates opportunities for process improvement within the clinical area; Assists with policies and procedures development for the facility
8. Ability to properly use departmental patient care / non-patient care equipment (Bladder scanner, EKG, Language line, Glucometer, etc.)
9. Performs/assists with specific procedures, such as lumbar puncture and biopsies, and other clinic specific procedures per protocol or as directed by provider instructions and according to policy
10. Instructions are given to the patient/family accurately and thoroughly per protocol or as directed by professional nurse or provider
11. Educate patients and their caregivers/families on their care.
12. Consistently protects patients’ rights and confidentiality are consistently protected.
13. Assume a leadership role and responds appropriately to emergency/crisis situations, clinic or facility-wide
14. Conduct regular chart reviews on patients and assist with pre-visit planning.
15. Monitor patient outcomes and activities between PCP visits.
16. Participate in medication reviews and adjustments in collaboration with team members, using established protocols.
17. May serve as a peer mentor and provide student learning experience as assigned.
18. Participates in special projects that supports operations and performs other duties as assigned.
• Graduate from an accredited Registered Nursing Program is required; two (2) years of clinical nursing experience required. One (1) year of clinical nursing experience in same clinic specialty preferred. Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement.
• Currently licensed or licensed by endorsement as an RN by the Alabama Board of Nursing required.
• Current CPR certification from the American Heart association is required.
• Must possess basic knowledge of computers, PC applications, software, and database management.
This role may require lifting up to 50 lbs.
The work location for this role is onsite.
Cooper Green Mercy Health Services Authority is proud to be an AA/EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer.
email CGRecruitment@uabmc.edu for more information!